"Teacher, Mr. Noisy* is speaking in Chuukese!"
"Teacher, I don't understand."
"Teacher, is that a period?" (No, that's another piece of paint missing from the chalkboard."
"Teacher, I don't understand."
"Teacher, Mr. Energy* is eating a lolipop!"
"Teacher, I don't understand!"
"Teacher, what's next?"
"Teacher, I don't understand."
"Teacher, when is lunch?"
Teeeacher, I don't understaaand!"
*These names are fictional, however do hold an element of truth.
And so my day goes in a classroom filled with 18 third graders, some of whom know little English, and one who seems to know only two words in English. The trend so far has been for me to teach and explain an activity from the front of the classroom, only to explain it at least once face to face with every child, and with some children, at least 5.
I have been shown how God gives strength day by day, as this first week of school has been difficult as I try to find new ways teach my diverse group of students in ways that they will all understand. I have been feeling my complete need to rely on God to show me how to teach, because I realize more and more my inexperience and inability every day in the classroom. After the first two days I was wondering if my students were going to end this year having learned anything, and if I would go home with the same major. It is only Thursday, and I cannot say yet that I feel confident about this year, but I know that God has sent me here, and I am learning to rely more and more on Him.
God has been showing me blessings tucked inside would-be discouragements. My student who knows little to no English is quiet and tries to obey, and his smile can take away a frown. My student who's paper is often blank when I walk by after students have been working on an assignment for ten minutes came and asked me to help him instead of sitting doing nothing. And when I forgot to bring my lunch, I was not without food for long.
I thank all of you who I know are praying for me, because I certainly need and appreciate it.
No comments:
Post a Comment