Saturday, December 11, 2010

Island BFFs

The first few weeks and even months of school were the time one figures out who are friends you enjoy spending time with, who you won't spend any more time than necessary with, and who you go out of your way to spend nearly all waking hours not spent teaching with.  Time has narrowed the last category down to two: Aynee and Jace.  While part of it is personality, there are many reasons for this threesome formation.


10 Reasons why I like Aynee and Jace:

1. They are practical.  They think of ways to get things accomplished, and don't want to spend time on unnecessary things.  They think of tangible ways to show God's love.

2. They are helpful.  Whether it's washing the dishes for everyone, helping move furniture, decorating when it's not their responsibility, adding some of your clothes to their laundry, or helping you carry something, when they see a need they're there to assist.

3. They're thoughtful. Example:

We're at a church meeting, and the pastors wife has brought some food.  At the urging of the pastor I take a serving of something I've been told is a banana dish, and return to my seat next to Aynee to eat it.  I don't know what it is, but it is not banana, and I find my tongue recoiling at the taste.  Aynee smiles, quietly asks "Need some help?" and goes to get a fork.

4. They make me laugh.  Watching Jace do "song interpretation" during vespers when his voice was gone, making jokes about english words pronounced in unintentional ways, and making jokes about cultural differences are only some of the things that keep me smiling.

5. We get each other's sense of humor.  Sample conversation between Jace and I:
J: Aynee!  Come! 
H: "Good grief, could you be any more DEMANDING?"
J: "Hannah, be quiet.  I did not invite you to be part of this conversation."
H: "I will speak whenever I feel like it, thank you very much."
J: "Hannah.  Shush"
H: "Aynee, you see how domineering and rude he is to me?  I think we should throw him out."
A:  "Jace, stop being rude."
J:"I'm not being rude, she's not allowed to join a conversation unless I say so.  Now come."
H: "Jace, calm down, she's coming.  Have a little patience for once in your life."
J: levels what is supposed to be an intimidating stare at me
 "Did I invite you to join this conversation?  No.  Aynee!"
And thus it will continue until there will likely be a sudden switch in our conversation, and we'll move on to talking about what to do together that evening, or what we're going to cook for supper.

The truth is that if Jace and I started being polite to one another it would be an indicator that something was seriously wrong with our relationship and that we were most likely mad at one another.

6. They love Jesus.  I can see it through their words and actions, and the sacrifices they're willing to make for the God they serve.

7. They like to play.  Whether it's games, swimming, or running around in the rain, they like to be involved, and bring people together to start activities.

8. They're good for a serious conversation.

9. They don't take life too seriously, and can keep a sense of humor in a tough situation.

10. They're up for spontaneous activities.  And for dealing with the consequences if the spontaneity was a little too rash. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment