It's now only a couple of weeks until the first quarter of school will be finished, and in some ways it seems amazing, and in other ways the end of school seems a very, very long away. I'm enjoying being here, but it's still true that I've never missed so many things at once before, or been homesick so often in my life. I count down the days until Christmas break when mom, dad, and Justin will be here because counting down the days until the end of school seems overwhelming.
Lest I seem too pessimistic, I am frequently reminded of what a wonderful group I am working with here. I've been surrounded by so much friendliness and thoughtfulness, and we've had many fun times together. Last Saturday night we celebrated the principal's wife's birthday at one of the hotels in town by eating pizza out on the dock. It was a great evening, and Jace (one of the other SMs) and I talked with the dive instructor there about getting dive certified. We're hoping to start on that next week. We're really excited about getting our and doing something in the beautiful water here! I'm learning that if you want to do something here you have to take it into your own hands as much as possible and not wait for the group to plan something.
A highlight of my time here is that last week the SM guys and I went out with the American couple who are in charge of construction here and a group of medical missionaries to a little island to snorkel there. It was a gorgeous day, and on the way out we saw dolphins! The men stopped the boat and we got out and snorkeled with them! It was definitely one of the most amazing moments of my life, and one I wouldn't mind having again! It was a wonderfully refreshing day, and renewed my desire to experience more of the beauty this place has to offer. Sometimes I forget I'm in a place where tourists come when I spend most of my time on campus!
I miss and love you all (well, I guess since I don't know who all is reading this I shouldn't be too general with that statement), and thank you so much to those of you who've sent me boxes! It's opening a little taste of home. Sometimes quite literally. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment